First dates can be sexy, exciting, and nerve-wracking all at the same time. But when the stakes are this high, there can also be a pretty huge margin for error. Hey, sometimes really bad dates can happen to really good singles. But don’t worry—even if you manage to check off every single one of these cringe-worthy situations on the same date, chances are you’ll be able to laugh about this with your best friend later (maybe over wine). Tell us, how many of these first date problems have you experienced?
1. You spill something on yourself right away. Accidents happen, but you’d rather not spend your whole date with a huge red wine stain on your boobs, thanks.
2. You two have nothing to talk about. Five minutes into the date, and you realize you two were way better at flirty pre-date repartee than actual conversation. Well, this is awkward.
3. He says something…questionable. “It’s not that I don’t think women deserve equal rights, but…” Check, please?
4. He’s rude to your server. It doesn’t matter how sweet he is to you, the moment he patronizes your waitress, you mentally check out.
5. Major pit stains spring up out of nowhere. You’re nervous. The bar is too hot. This fabric shows everything. No matter the reason…why, body, why?
6. He looks a lot different than he did on his profile. You wind up spending the whole date wondering whether to fake an emergency and flee or stay and ask him tips on flattering camera angles, because clearly, he is a master.
7. He attempts to get physical when chemistry is so not there. Woah! Definitely not the time for a knee grab, dude!
8. He keeps regaling you with stories of his ex-girlfriend. Then you have to decide, is he: A) still in love with her, B) harboring revenge fantasies, or C) just fresh off the breakup?
9. You keep accidentally name-dropping boyfriends. You try to stop because you can literally see your date getting bored, but so many of your good stories feature him, and the word vomit just. Keeps. Coming.
10. Bad breath. His, yours, it doesn’t matter—this is now how the date will be remembered.
11. Your date gets way too drunk, too fast. He’s knocking over pint glasses and slamming back shots. This will not end well.
12. Someone’s phone is third-wheeling. He can’t stop texting. You keep getting urgent e-mails from work. Either way, technology totally kills the vibe.
13. The goodnight portion is totally phoned in. There’s an awkward hug or a complete absence of a plan. Someone says, “This was fun.” What does that even mean?! Oh well, there’s always next time. In the meantime, call your best friend—she’ll know what to do.